I know that a few of you still read this blog. I need your help. My buddy Rick MacPherson has been an all around amazing guy for the last several decades -- I won't say exactly how many. In the conservation universe, he's the smart guy in the background that gives all the credit to the local kid (you know, like me!). In the time that I've known him, we've worked together to protect the Mariana Trench from overfishing and sharks in two oceans. I want to show him how much I appreciate him, so I nominated him for a Shorty Award.
I nominated Rick in the Activist category, although he could also be nominated in the Blogger category. He's been blogging about ocean issues nearly as long as me. In fact, he was one of the people who first hosted Carnival of the Blue, which eventually evolved into Science Oceans Online (this was like a decade ago, most of you kids were infants). There are other categories he could probably be nominated for, but I suspect that Healthy Living isn't one of them.
Nominating Rick is extremely simple. You just click on the banner above -- or the banner below. Then tweet to the organizers of the Shorty Awards why you think Rick should be this year's activist. I've nominated him for sharks and corals, but you could also nominate him for his support of equal rights.
After you follow the link and tweet your reason for nominating Rick using their web form, there are other ways you can help:
1. You can help broadcast Rick's unique Shorty Awards url: http://shortyawards.com/rmacpherson/ on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media websites.
2. You can email your friends about Rick and ask them to nominate him.
3. You can write a blog about Rick and ask your readers to nominate him.
4. You can grab your friends phones and use their Twitter accounts to nominate Rick.
5. I'm sure there are other things you can do. Come on, Rick is a great guy! Let's win this for him!