I called the consulate in Miami again yesterday and this was their response:
"I'm sorry, but I can't tell you anything until we hear from Tokyo. I can not help you."
I guess I'll keep waiting. This is very frustrating. Other consulates are telling applicants what their rank on the alternate list is from what I can gather from Big Daikon. I wish the Miami consulate would just be consistent with the other consulates and let me know.
It is going to be very difficult to get all my finances in order should I get a phone call in late July letting me know that my flight leaves in two weeks. The lease on my apartment ends in June and I can not sign another one year lease if there is a chance that I might be going to Japan.
There, now I feel better.